Shore excursion to Saintes and Cognac from La Rochelle port of call
La Rochelle port of call
Shore excursion from La Rochelle: Discover the exceptional heritage of Saintes and the Cognac distilleries
Do you plan cruise ship call in the Port of La Rochelle-La Pallice? This is a wonderful opportunity to discover the city of Saintes.
- Pick-up of the group at the port of call of La Rochelle / La Pallice
Visit the historic town of Saintes
This bimillennial city dispalys monuments witnessing 2 millennias of history ! Our panoramic tour of the city will be the occasion to admire the Roman remains such as the Roman amphitheatre or the Germanicus arch on the bank of the Charente river. But a rich Romanesque heritage is also here like the gate of Abbaye aux Dames or Saint-Eutrope basilica.
Explore the Cognac vineyard
Then we will take a drive to the Cognac vineyards (about 40 minutes). We will visit a small family distillery in the heart of the vineyard to understand everything about the double distillation process, the secrets of the Charentais red copper pot-still and the ageing in oak barrels.
If time permits :
- we could also have a walk in the old Cognac, the birthplace of François 1st with its pretty cobbled streets.
- on the way back we will take a photo stop at the Old Port of La Rochelle, elegantly framed by its medieval towers including the Tower of La Lanterne, which is the oldest lighthouse on the Atlantic coast.
- Drive back to your cruise ship docked at the port of call of La Rochelle
- The services of a licensed driver & tour guide for a guided tour up to 9 hours
- Transportation with air-conditionned minivan up to 7 passengers maximum (Included : fuel, tolls and parking fees) from La Rochelle port of call
- Insurance for all passengers while on board
- A 50cl bottle of water per person
- Booking organisation with distilleries from my database
- The guide's lunch
- Cognac tastings : consider from 5€ to 70€ depending on your interests and Cognac brands (To be paid on the spot - Caution : lots of small distilleries don't accept credit cards, think about taking cash with you)
- Entrance fees for monuments and museums in Saintes
- Personal expenses